Sep 30, 2023
The University of West Georgia Sport Management program is designed to serve society by developing responsible leaders for the multi-faceted sport industry. It is our goal to be recognized for our:
- action-oriented curriculum in which the students learn by practicing and performing those tasks they will be expected to do in their professional positions;
- student-centered teaching that is the product of the faculty’s commitment to the holistic development of our students;
- market-driven instruction that is cutting edge and ensures that the knowledge bases, skills, and competencies we seek to instill in our students are those that are demanded by industry employers;
- managerially relevant research that is designed to improve decision making and assist in overcoming organizational challenges;
- mutually beneficial partnerships with sport properties that are developed to further solidify the bond between industry and the University.
Recognizing that the sport industry is ever-changing, the program is committed to being sensitive to the dynamics that could affect the relevance of the instruction. In summary, the faculty is committed to the advancement of knowledge and practice in the sport industry through the creation and delivery of relevant educational programs, conducting and disseminating research, and working collaboratively with industry organizations.
Core Areas A, B, C, D, E: 45 Hours
Physical Education Requirement: 3 Hours
Courses Required for the Degree
II. Required Professional Content: 18 Hours (a)
I. Professional Content Electives: 15 Hours
(choose 5) (a)
Internship or Additional Coursework (a)
III. Related Content - University approved minor: 15 Hours
See College of Education advisor for recommendations
Total: 123 Hours
(a) Requires admission to SPMG upper-level coursework.
(b) Must have all course work complete and overall GPA of at least 2.5 prior to enrollment in SPMG 4686 .
No appeal process for students with less than 2.0 GPA
Sport Management Admission and Retention Requirements
In order to be admitted to Sport Management upper-level coursework, students must meet the following criteria:
Current UWG Students
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.0.
- Successful completion of Areas A-E.
- Successful completion of 15 of the 18 hours in Area F, including SPMG 2600 with a grade of C or better.
Applications deadlines and procedures are available on the department website.
- Areas A through E
Students must complete all of the Area A-E requirements prior to taking courses from the professional content area. Transfer students who lack up to two courses in Areas A-E may take specified courses concurrently during their first semester of enrollment at UWG.
- Area F
Students must complete at least 15 of the 18 hours required in Area F prior to taking professional content courses. This includes SPMG 2600 - Introduction Sport Management that must be passed with a grade of C or better.
- Professional Content Courses
- Students must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 in order to enroll in any professional content courses.
- Students must complete all professional content courses with a grade of C or better.
- Students must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 while in the junior and senior years.
- In order to enroll in the internship, students must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5.
- Related Content
Students should work cooperatively with their academic advisor to select a university approved minor to complete the program. Students must declare their minor and be advised regarding that minor by an advisor from the college where the minor is housed. Recommended minors include accounting, biology, business administration, creative writing, economics, English, finance, management, marketing, mass communications, psychology, and sociology.